Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Miles Davis with Altec Vott 825 in studio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member wweigle's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2014
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Miles Davis with Altec Vott 825 in studio

    Posting this picture and website link as its always interesting to see where the Altec Vott speakers have been used in the studio over the years.

    Miles Davis’s Miles Ahead: A Timeless 1957 Classic | Rhythm Planet
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Miles Davis with Altec Vott 825 in studio

    I am interested in applications where wings were used versus no wings. I have seen studio pics before with 825/828 with no wings. I always thought they were added for more throw. Any truth to this?

    I have a pair of 828 cabs in a nearfield setup and have always wondered what wings would do. Maybe I should build some and try it

    Cool picture btw

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Miles Davis with Altec Vott 825 in studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I am interested in applications where wings were used versus no wings. I have seen studio pics before with 825/828 with no wings. I always thought they were added for more throw. Any truth to this?

    I have a pair of 828 cabs in a nearfield setup and have always wondered what wings would do. Maybe I should build some and try it

    Cool picture btw
    I have gleaned from reading here and there from GM and others that the wings help with the low end. Also, it seems the Altec woofers enjoy wide front baffles.... I am sure some of the other more knowledgable members here will chime in and help clarify even more.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Miles Davis with Altec Vott 825 in studio

    Ok gotcha. Thats part of the baffle gain idea right?

    I wonder what wings would do for my cabs with their already reduced port size. I am running 421 woofers with aftermarket 416 cones in them. The bass is not bad as-is. Some EQ definitely helps though

    Btw I showed that picture to my wife to prove that Altec's are an important part of music history. She rolled her eyes at me

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Miles Davis with Altec Vott 825 in studio

    FWIW, this is almost certainly an original A800, so has an 810 cab, which is a bit different and doesn't perform quite as well as the 825/828.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/pro-speakers/800.htm

    GM

    - - - Updated - - -

    'Wings' lowers the baffle 'step' from half to full space, so reduces the need for attenuating the mids/HF [as much] to tonally balance the system over a wide BW, ergo has no impact on baffle tuning due to the very large WLs involved. For instance, in 'round' numbers, the baffle needs to be nearly 88" wide to get down to 35 Hz.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.